Sunday, March 10, 2019


March 10, 2019

Manaus, Brazil

We docked in Manaus just before 10 am.  I will tell more about the history of the city tomorrow because I am taking a half day city tour.  Today we spent on the water.

I was on another Do Brazil Right tour, a full day boat tour.  We were to meet at 10:30 but once again most people were there long before that (as a result I had to sit towards the back of the boat).  The guide gave commentary for about the first 45 minutes but, because of the engine noise, those of us in the back could hear nothing.

Our first destination was the Meeting of the Waters, the confluence of the Rio Negro (the darker water) and the Amazon (sandy colored).  The distinction was very evident.  As I mentioned before, the waters do not mix because of the differences in temperature, water density and speed.

From there we went to the fish feeding.  The write-up for the tour mentioned piranha fishing but instead we went to where some large fish were (using the guide we were given, I think they were Arapaima).  If you wanted you could “fish” by dangling a pole with a small fish on it over the tank and watch the Arapaima (maybe) snap them up.  They were quite fierce and you could hear their jaws snap shut.

It was then time for lunch at a restaurant on the water that served Amazonian food.  The watermelon and the pineapple were delicious as were the mini bananas.  I also had rice and beans and some tomatoes and cucumbers.  The main course was different types of fish which I did not try.  We then had time to look at the handicrafts and you could walk into the forest to see some monkeys and giant lily pads.  I opted not to walk into the forest because you had to go up a steep ramp.

We then left and passed under the Manaus-Iranduba bridge, headed for the pink dolphins.  These dolphins begin as a gray color but as they mature become more pink.  The males are pinker than the females but still often have some gray. 

I had brought along my swimsuit so I could get in the water with the dolphins.  They allowed five people in at a time and the dolphins were fed fish.  We were not supposed to touch them but they had no such restrictions and, at one point, at least three were up against me trying to get to the fish.  The few minutes we spent in the water passed way too quickly.  I opted to stay in my bathing suit and pulled some clothes over it for the rest of the day.

Our last stop of the day was at a village of the Dessanos and Tucanos indigenous people.  They performed for us and then we had time to look at their crafts and wander around. I was once again attacked by ants that are Deet-proof (my foot itched most of the way back!).

It took about an hour to get back to the pier.  By the time I walked to the shuttle and got back on the ship it was 6:15.  I had just enough time to shower and change for 7:00 trivia.

Only Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I played (although Tom sat with us since we did not have a full team.  We had 12 out of 18 with two teams tying with 13.

1) How many stars are on the current logo for Paramount pictures?

2) How many lungs do snakes have?

3) In what country did Venetian blinds originate?

4) What is the collective noun for a group of bears?

5) What is the highest number in the target area of a shuffleboard court?

Ann was nice enough to write down the questions and answers from afternoon trivia so I have some to include.

1) What European nation invented the clock pendulum in 1657?

2) Name a literary term from the Greek meaning to “run back again”.

3) What rock star’s 1971 death was kept a secret for 6 days?

4) What is the last sentence of Gone With the Wind?

5) Name the top three countries that have the most Christians.

There was a local cultural show at 8 pm (repeated at 10 which is unusual but likely because there was a large number of people going to the opera house for a performance this evening).  It featured three types of traditional dances – Capoeira (combines dance, music, and acrobatics), Carimbo, and Boi Bumba (more about that in a few days).

I had room service for dinner and had a roast beef panini (which was very good) and a piece of chocolate layer cake (the good kind was back!).

I spent a few minutes looking at the lights of Manaus from my deck after I finished my dinner.

Early morning tomorrow! 

band to greet us

floating gas station


Meeting of the Waters






fish feeding








Lunch




crafts

Manaus-Iranduba bridge

pink dolphins




Indigenous village





crafts



the capsule that hold Brazil nuts

our boat

a cormorant sitting in the harbor



Cultural Show
















Evening trivia

1) 22

2) 1

3) Japan (go figure!)

4) Sleuth

5) 10

Afternoon trivia

1) Netherlands

2) Palindrome

3) Jim Morrison

4) “After all, tomorrow is another day.”

5) US, Brazil, and Mexico

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment