Friday, January 11, 2019


January 11, 2019

At Sea

I can’t believe that I have been on the ship for a week already!  The time is flying by.

I went to the Knitters and Stitchers group at 10 which was actually posted in the “When and Where”.  Last year I was told they do not put this in the daily program.  Nobody in the group had any idea why it was included today.  We had about 10 people show up.

I left the group at about 10:50 to go to Music trivia.  Only Pat, Patty, and I played on our team but we won with 30 out of 33! Then to a quick lunch before 1 pm trivia.  We had 12 out of 19 and tied with three other teams for first place.

1) In “My Fair Lady” who was Henry Higgins sidekick?

2) For what reason was Gertrude Ederle given a ticker tape parade in 1926?

3) To how many different men was Elizabeth Taylor married?

4) In what year was Orson Wells famous radio broadcast of “War of the Worlds”?

5) What is the collective noun for a group of cockroaches?

As part of the perks for a four-star Mariner, I was invited to a wine tasting.  I heard from someone who had been to the first wine tasting that there were no sweet wines, so I did not go.  Instead I went back to the Lido for my afternoon ice cream which I had before arts and crafts.  We made a necklace and pencil holder.  Afterwards I sat by the pool and read with my feet in the water.

It was announced this morning that we would be having a block party at 4:30. Everyone was encouraged to come out in the hallway with a glass and get to know your neighbors.  The room stewards were going around with a choice of white or red wine and later showed up with champagne.  My end of the hall appears not to be very neighborly as none of them came out.  I went down the hall and started talking to some other ladies.  My original plan had been to go for a dip in the Lido pool (which I have not been in yet) after the block party but since I did not leave until 5:25 I gave up on that idea and went out on my deck to watch a lone bird attack the flying fish.

Evening trivia was an absolute disgrace for us.  After winning two trivias today we evidently used up our daily quota of brain cells because we only had 9 out of 19 correct.   The winning team had 18!

1) In what year did Diana and Prince Charles divorce?

2) Who was the first Prime Minister of Canada?

3) Into what body of water does the Volga River flow?

4) Which group of islands lies about 300 miles southwest of India?

5) In 1994 Tim Rice and Elton John won an Academy Award for what song?

This was our second Gala Night.  I had a shrimp salad, a green salad, Filet Mignon topped with crabmeat, and a berry tart.  I decided to skip the show as I had seen it on Amsterdam last year.  As I recall it was a good show but I need an early night so I can get up early enough for our adventure tomorrow in Manta. I did listen to the music from the show in my cabin since I am, once again, directly above the showroom.

Those playful penguins are at it again


The block party


From my deck




Our pillow gift - a power bank

Today's crafts

The filet mignon topped with crabmeat

The picture we had taken in honor of Prinsendam's last transit of the Panama Canal




Afternoon trivia…

1) Colonel Pickering

2) She was the first woman to swim the English Channel

3) 7

4) 1938

5) Intrusion

Evening trivia…

1) 1996

2) John A MacDonald (sp?)

3) Caspian Sea

4) Maldives

5) Can You Feel the Love Tonight?

(we missed all five of these)



Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment