Monday, January 14, 2019


January 14, 2019

Salaverry (the port for Trujillo), Peru



I had a very lazy morning not leaving the ship until after 11 am.  After hearing how exhausting some of the tours were, I was glad I decided just to visit Trujillo on my own. 

The shuttle from Salaverry to Trujillo took about 30 minutes so I arrived in the city around 12 noon.  We were given a map that showed the shuttle stop was about three blocks from the main downtown area.  The walk was interesting with lots of small shops and restaurants and beautiful architecture.  Once I arrived at the pedestrian zone on Pizarro Street, I turned right and walked to the Plaza Armas.  Directly across the street was a McDonalds so I decided it was time for a drink.  After purchasing a Coke I walked back down the pedestrian zone.  I took a detour to walk through a grocery store and then stopped for some more Peruvian sols at an ATM.  Walked back to the shuttle stop and was able to get one right away.  The roads were packed and it took about 45 minutes to return to the ship. 

There were a few vendors on the pier so I bought some souvenirs (they took US$) before returning to the ship for a late lunch.

At 4 pm it was time for afternoon trivia.  We won with 18 out of 23 points.

1) According to the journal “Current Biology”, there is only one invertebrate with the ability to use tools.  What is it?

2) What athlete has been on the most Wheaties boxes?

3) What was discovered by farmers in 1974 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site?

4) What palace and gardens is known as the Russian Versailles?

5) Who were the three women who starred in “9 to 5”?

I ate early dinner with Sherita, Patty, Roy, and Jim from the Cruise Critic roll call.  They had invited any to join on the roll call and although I wanted to I feel early sitting (5:30) is too rushed, especially on port days.  Still I had a good time and was told I could return any time I wanted.  I had a tomato and mozzarella salad, Chicken Kiev, and a banana split sundae.

From dinner it was off to the Crow’s Nest for evening trivia.  We had 16 out of 20 but 3 teams had perfect scores.

1) Where does the Trans-Siberian railroad terminate?

2) Who was Pope for 33 days in 1978?

3) What is the indigenous religion of Japan?

4) Which fashion designer created the “Little Black Dress”?

5) Who said, “Give me the place to stand and I will move the Earth”?

Patty, Sherita and I then went to see the comedian, Russ Stolnack.  There were a few laughs.

At 9 it was time for Music Trivia.  We won with 32.

At 10 we were supposed to have a stargazing session with 2nd Officer Mark.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate so it was cancelled.

From my deck…


workmen were doing something with the balconies and had the dividers open


popular beach

directly off the bow - not the prettiest port

vendors on the pier

Bird convention...

… and they left their calling cards on the pier!




On the road between Salaverry and Trujillo…

selling cold drinks to motorists

lots of signs like this along the road

major means of transportation in Salaverry







Trujillo city center…



pay phones and fresh fruit



Plaza de Armas


lots of people were selling frozen sticks (juice maybe?)

pretty tile signs

ice cream man






Need a letter typed?  He will even make you a carbon copy (with real carbon paper!)






the old girl still looks good

Today the penguins were waiting for a cold brew at sail-away





Afternoon trivia

1) Octopus

2) Michael Jordan

3) The terra cotta warriors

4) Peterhoff

5) Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, and Lily Tomlin

Evening trivia

1) Vladivostok

2) John Paul I

3) Shinto

4) Coco Chanel

5) Archimedes


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment