Tuesday, January 8, 2019


January 8, 2019

San Blas Islands, Panama



What a great day!  I woke up with no congestion although I was not fast enough with the pills to stop the cough that I always get with a sinus infection.  I am hoping that the cough will not linger.  I finally went to the Front Office and spoke with Patrick about my internet issues.  He solved the problem in a minute.  Turns out my computer was logging me in with my cabin and password from the Amsterdam last year.  I felt like a total dunce but at least I am now back on my laptop!

Although it was not a sea day, we did not get to the San Blas Islands until about 11:30 so I went to the Crow’s Nest to see if any other needleworkers showed up.  Over the course of the next hour and a half, two did.  I was able to do six rows on my newest shawl.

After that I got my computer “fixed” and then went to lunch.  An update about the made-to-order sandwiches.  Today there was someone making them rather than you making them yourself as I reported earlier.

I decided to go to shore just before 1 pm.  As I was leaving my cabin the announcement was made that tender tickets were no longer required.  I did not have to wait long.  Not too bad getting in and out of the tenders. 

If you have not heard of the San Blas Islands, you are not alone.  I had never heard of them before booking this cruise.  There are about 378 islands and only 49 are inhabited.  The indigenous people are the Guna (formerly known as the Kuna).  The village where we landed was mainly wooden and corrugated metal houses and buildings and some dirt lanes and alleys.  The people were very friendly and virtually every man, woman, and child had something to sell.  I walked all over the village in about a half hour, bought a couple of things and then went back to the ship.  Had my afternoon ice cream and sat and talked with Inga from the dinner table.

We came close in afternoon trivia with 13 out of 19.  The winners had 14.  Shades of the “The Bridesmaids” from last year.

1) Leather is sold in different qualities – top, full, corrected, and split.  Which is the best quality?

2) What is the origin of the word “Ouija” as in Ouija Board?

3) What is the first movie to have two Academy Award nominations for the same character?

4) What was the capital of Australia between 1901 and 1927?

5) Bonus – Name the actors who played King Arthur and Guinevere in the 1960 Broadway musical and in the 1967 movie.

Watched the sail-away from my deck before getting ready for evening trivia and dinner.

Only Pat, Patty, and I played evening trivia.  We had 13 out of 18 but one team had all 18 points.

1) What is the official language of Liberia?

2) Which continent is home to the largest number of countries?

3) How many countries changed to the Euro in January 2002?

4) Who was the director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

5) What was the first month in the ancient Roman calendar?



The Ocean Bar and dining rooms were decorated for Tropical Night and the servers all had straw hats and floral shirts.  Passengers were encouraged to wear tropical attire.

Phillip, one of my dinner mates, asked if we could move to a different table by the window.  Last night we were told that we could but would not have the same servers.  Six of us said we wanted to stay where we were if we had to give up our servers.  Today we were told we could move and keep our servers so we are now at table 119.  All of us were present at our new table tonight.  I had a fruit starter, sweet and sour pork, and pineapple crisp for dessert. 

Again the six of us went to the show together.  The show tonight was Devlin billed as the “Matador of Magic”.

Scenes from the island








From my deck




Tropical Night

the penguins got into the spirit


even the menus were decorated




Afternoon trivia

1) Full

2) It means “yes” in French and German

3) Titanic (Kate Winslett and Gloria Stuart for the role of Rose)

4) Melbourne

5) 1960- Richard Burton and Julie Andrews  1967- Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave

Evening trivia

1) English

2) Africa

3) 12

4) Peter Jackson

5) March

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. So good to solve the computer mystery! I am happy to report that I smoked my family in the afternoon trivia! That never happens. I liked some of the hanging fabric on your walk but the best was that you are feeling better.

    Keep enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when your computer logs you in under the last cruise details, its just the worst! 😂🤣......just got blog details from Kara yesterday, so I'm playing catch up ;)

    ReplyDelete