Saturday, January 5, 2019


January 4, 2019

Embarkation Day



I was able to sleep about eight hours which is great for the night before a cruise.  I packed the rest of my stuff and headed downstairs at about 10:35.  The one negative to the hotel is the amazingly slow elevators but I made it down in less than five minutes.  I was headed to the desk to ask if they had the number for a taxi or would call me one when I noticed a sign for a shuttle.  I signed up and the lady told me they had an opening at 10:45 or 12:15.  Looking at my watch, I asked her isn’t it already 10:45 and she said no, only 10:42 and I had time to make the shuttle.  So I paid the $6, went outside, and saw Roy who was also taking the shuttle.  It arrived about a minute later, we loaded up and was at the terminal by 11:00. 

Very few people were there and I only had to wait a couple of minutes before I was checked in and sent upstairs to wait.  The members of the “President’s Club” (the highest level of the loyalty program) were taken first to meet the head of the Mariner’s Society (whose name I have forgotten) and Orlando Ashford the Holland America President.  Next, the four and five star Mariner’s (this is my first cruise as a four star) got to have our picture taken with the bigwigs and then get on the ship.  Everything was continuing to go very smoothly as it had since I left home.

Too good to last!  I go to my cabin, insert my key card and I can only get a red light (door will not unlock).  OK, time to find Guest Services.  With the new key card in hand I return to my cabin to see the red light again.  Arggg!  Back to Guest Services and the young man helping me decides to come with me and try again.  Same results!  So he tells me to wait and off he goes back to Guest Services.  A couple of minutes later he runs down the hall and success was finally had!

I knew my solo cabin was going to be small but considering the odd layout of my world cruise cabin, it seems to be more functional even though likely it has a smaller square footage. But, the absolute best part is the closet – the walk-in closet!  Lots of hanging space, shelves galore and four drawers.  I smile every time I go in it.

None of my suitcases had yet arrived so it was time to have lunch in the Lido and do some exploring.  I found the pool which is at the end of my corridor, just past the gym.  Then upstairs to the Lido.  I had a good lunch of chicken and rice and fresh fruit.   A little more exploring after lunch and then back to my cabin where my two suitcases sent through FedEx had arrived.  I emptied them out before heading to the Mariner’s Reception. I sat and talked with Sherita and Patty from our Cruise Critic roll call and had two Mimosas.

I emptied half of my third suitcase before the Muster Drill.  Being on a small ship sure made a difference because it was less than 15 minutes. 

By that time I needed to shower and change for the evening.  Because of that I was late for the Sail-away Cocktail Party which started right after the Muster Drill.  The drinks were all rather watery at that point so I didn’t finish even one drink.  I talked with some friends from the 2018 WV and then went to meet Roy for sail-away on the top deck.

We were supposed to depart at 6 pm but a couple were delayed arriving because of flight issues.  We actually left after 7 pm.  To show how addicted I am to sail-aways, I had to miss Trivia!!!

I went to the showroom because it was still about 25 minutes until dinner.  Linda, the Cruise Director, was introducing some of the entertainers and enrichment staff.  I had to leave before it was over to get to dinner.
greeting us as we boarded

my cabin

the bathroom

lots of space

look at those shelves and drawers

lots of hanging space


the sail-away party.



I am at Table 157 with a man from North Carolina, a lady from Vancouver (but originally Austria), a California couple, and a couple from Alberta.  I had a Caesar salad (minus the anchovies), beef Stroganoff (which was delicious), and very disappointing Key Lime pie.  I have had the pie onboard HAL before but it did not taste like that.

Returned to my cabin to unpack the last suitcase.  I hope my stewards are able to take my suitcases to store somewhere because my bed is too low to put them underneath.  No way I can trip over three large suitcases for 80 days.

As I finish this up it is just about 11:30 and I am ready for bed!

A busy sea day tomorrow with our Meet and Greet, three (!) trivias, arts and crafts, and a show tomorrow night.





Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get it figured out. Looking forward to hearing about the trip. (This one is one my bucket list.)

    ReplyDelete