Tuesday, January 29, 2019


January 29, 2019

At Sea



We spent the day viewing glaciers and cruising down the Strait of Magellan which, before the Panama Canal, was one of the three routes between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.  I did not get up for the first glacier (6 am) but did take a picture out of my window of some of the ice floating around.  I was awake and out on deck to see the second glacier.

I did something today that I have not done before on this cruise – I went to breakfast.  I sat with Pat and Tom and first tried one of the sticky buns.  Although I love sugar, it was so sweet I could not eat more than a bite.  Then I tried scrambled eggs and a British banger.  The eggs were runny and tasteless so I left them but the banger was delicious.

Pat and I stayed in the Lido to work on our stitching projects.  Lots of light and great views of the fjords.

After lunch it was time for trivia.  We had 16 out of 23 but the winners had 18.

1) What early Renaissance Italian painter’s name literally translates to “little barrel”?

2) Which came first – Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke?

3) When was the last French death by guillotine?

4) What two countries border Kuwait?

5) On which side was the Titanic hit by the iceberg?

Bonus:  Name the six official languages of the United Nations.

In arts and crafts we made a penguin card.  I also finished a couple of other projects.

Finished my shawl I started the other day.

While I was getting ready for the evening I heard noise from out on my deck and looked out to see it was hailing!  About ten minutes later there was a beautiful rainbow (I understand there were a few rainbows but I could only see one).

Evening trivia was in the Showroom because we entered the Strait of Magellan at the same time and there was commentary going on the Crow’s Nest.  We had 12 out of 18 and the winners had 13.

1) To a stereo buff, what does “DAT” stand for?

2) What was the name of the taxi company on the TV series “Taxi”?

3) What was the first movie musical banned in China?

4) What salt tolerant tree once grew on 60% of tropical coastlines?

5) What is the third largest island in the Caribbean after Cuba and Hispaniola?

Six of us present for dinner.  I had fruit, shrimp, spaghetti and a Bananas Foster sundae.  I skipped the show because I had seen it last year.
From my deck





Out my window (sorry for the poor quality)
hail

pretty rainbow


the wreck of Santa Leonor (formerly the USS Riverside)

Finished crafts
from top left clockwise - Journal, pouch, penguin card, coaster



Afternoon trivia

1) Botticelli

2) Diet Pepsi (1964) – Diet Coke was 1982

3) 1977

4) Saudi Arabia and Iraq

5) Starboard

Bonus – English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic

Evening trivia

1) Digital audio tape

2) Sunshine Cab Company

3) The Sound of Music (she did not tell us why and I have been unable to find out on the internet)

4) Mangroves

5) Jamaica



Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment