Sunday, February 17, 2019


February 17, 2019

Montevideo, Uruguay



After ten hours of sleep I woke up feeling much better so I ventured out to walk around the city.  Because it was Sunday, everything was very quiet and most of the shops were closed except by the port.

I walked for just over three hours stopping at an ATM and McDonald’s for a Coke.  Montevideo is a city which is being revitalized.  There are many beautiful buildings and many waiting for refurbishment.

Near the ship was Mercado del Puerto with some shops and restaurants in and around it.  There were also some stalls on the street surrounding it and I spent about 45 minutes looking around in the area.

In afternoon trivia we had 11 out of 19 but the winning team had 15.

1) How tall in feet is the Eiffel Tower including the antenna – 974, 984, 1063, or 1142?

2) What was the role of Hermes in Greek mythology?

3) How many years did Rip Van Winkle sleep?

4) True or false – Anacondas lay eggs?

5) What island nation is the only member of NATO without a standing army?

I ate with my other table as this was Andrea’s last night (she departs tomorrow in Buenos Aires).  It was one of my least favorite menus.  I had a Caesar salad, crab cakes (they were really crab balls), a piece of beef that was only OK, and a fruit sundae for dessert.

We had 20 out of 21 for evening trivia and tied with a couple of other teams.  Nobody got the tiebreaker correct so we left it as a tie.

1) What German surname means “beet garden” in Dutch?

2) What Southeast Asian country’s name means “land of the free”?

3) Who designed the Rolling Stones lips and tongue logo?

4) What does a logophobic fear?

5) What year followed 1 BC?

Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I stayed in the Crow’s Nest for Name That Tune at 9 pm.  We won with 17 out of 18.

I have two early mornings coming up in Buenos Aires so I plan for an early bedtime.
From my deck



where old ships go to die


Street scenes


monument to Graf Spee which was scuttled in the harbor in December 1939






the cathedral and two pictures of the interior below




Plaza Constitucion

not sure what these signified and many of the names I did not recognize

the old gate of the city

Plaza Independencia



Plaza Zabala



Anyone know what this tree is?

Mercado del Puerto


Inside of Mercado del Puerto


Street art






there were lots of these mosaic tiles in the sidewalk done by an anonymous artist to replace lose and broken pieces



Our trivia teammate, Sharon, leaves tomorrow so we had a picture taken
Pat, Sherita, me, Patty, Sharon, and Paul


Afternoon trivia

1) 1063

2) Messenger

3) 20

4) False

5) Iceland

Evening trivia

1) Beethoven

2) Thailand

3) Andy Warhol

4) Words

5) 1AD

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment