Friday, February 22, 2019


February 22, 2019

Santos, Brazil



There were only three excursions and two were strenuous.  Two went to the Coffee Museum (I don’t drink coffee) and two had to do with football (soccer) so I decided to take the shuttle to the Praiamar Mall instead.  Pat called me around 10:00 and asked if I wanted to go together so I had someone to walk around with.  We met at 10:30 and took the shuttle about 100 yards to the terminal and then got on another bus to the mall.

It was a very hot, humid day and there did not seem to be anything interesting close to the mall so we walked through the mall.  We visited a number of baby clothes shops but, since Pat’s soon to be born grandbaby’s gender is not known, no purchases were made.

There was a giant supermarket in the mall so I bought a six-pack of Coke and pencils for the children along the Amazon. 

We returned to the ship just before 2 and I went to the Lido for lunch.  Pat came up about an hour later and we knitted for some time (the light in the Lido is great for knitting).  During that time we had a huge rain storm with thunder and lightning.  At one point you could not even see two feet from the ship.

Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I played trivia at 4 pm and tied with one other team with 14 out of 18.

1) Who was the Roman God of agriculture?

2) How many steps in the Eiffel Tower?

3) What country exports the most green olives to the US?

4) In which country did Legos start?

5) Which came first – Art Deco or Art Nouveau?

There were four of us for evening trivia (Pat, Patty, Chris, and I) and we had 19 out of 20.  Five teams tied with perfect scores.

1) What company buys more sugar and vanilla than any other in the world?

2) What brand of computer made its debut in 1976?

3) What is the name for a male goose?

4) What does SCUBA stand for?

5) What Pacific country boasts a population of about 60 million sheep and 3 million people?

Our dinner table is down to six as two ladies have switched to other tables.  I had fruit, a chicken croquette, fettucini, and frozen yogurt.

There was no show tonight but instead a movie about Pele.
Street scenes






a fixer upper


The Mall






From my deck


the other cruise ship in port was MS Sovereign (formerly Sovereign of the Seas), a Pullmantur (Spanish company) ship












Afternoon trivia

1) Saturn

2) 1792

3) Spain

4) Denmark

5) Art Nouveau

Evening trivia

1) Coca-cola (the one we missed)

2) Apple

3) Gander

4) Self contained underwater breathing apparatus

5) New Zealand


Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. How do you get pencils to the children in the Amazon? And how many do you take to pass out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ship will deliver them to a school somewhere on the Amazon or we can do this ourselves. I purchased 4 dozen pencils and will likely buy more when I find them. We have not been told the details yet. I will post when I know more.

    ReplyDelete