Sunday, February 3, 2019


February 3, 2019

The Antarctic Experience Day 1



I woke up about 4 am and looked out.  It was already light but I could not see anything.  Next time I woke up it was 6 and there was Antarctica right outside my window.  What an amazing sight!  Many people were out on my deck but I chose to snooze awhile longer.  When I did get up I went out to my deck.  It was really cold and I had to come back in for another layer.  It was a beautiful morning with clear blue skies and sun glistening on the water and the ice.  Through the day we saw whales, seals, and lots of penguins (both on land and in the water).  The weather started to deteriorate through the afternoon.

After taking numerous pictures (over 300 for the day), I met Pat in the Lido where she worked on her knitting and I wrote yesterday’s blog.  There was no afternoon trivia (!!!) because of the scenic cruising.  We went from the starboard side of the Lido to the port side for arts and crafts just before 2:30.  We made a needle case.  I have not quite finished mine but will after finishing tonight’s blog (picture tomorrow).

In the early evening we started getting a rocky ride.

Trivia was at 7 and we had 14 out of 18 correct.  Two teams tied with 17.

1) What planet boasts the tallest mountains in the solar system?

2) Which mammal gives birth to babies that are roughly the size of a raisin – squirrels, Tasmanian devils, or rabbits?

3) Which man has the most monuments erected to him?

4) In fencing, the foil is meant to hit which body part?

5) What creature has the most legs?

As we were leaving the Crow’s Nest we found out it was snowing so, of course, we went out to take pictures.

Only four of us for dinner.  I had a salad, vegetable and tortellini soup, fish and chips, and a strawberry sundae for dessert.

There was no show because of the Super Bowl.  I stopped in the showroom after dinner and it was only about half full.

As I finish this up (just after 10:30 pm) it is still not dark.






Argentinian station - only manned in summer



Chilean station - only manned in summer

note the man on the steps of the building and all the penguins









synchronized swimming - penguin style







if you enlarge the picture you can see the snowflakes

the penguins are all ready for the Super Bowl


dining room decorated for the game

penguin at the front desk


Trivia

1) Mars

2) Tasmanian Devil

3) Buddha

4) Torso

5) Millipede

Smooth sailing until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Kathi, I am so excited to see your Antarctica pictures. Can hardly wait for a year from now when I will be seeing the same view. What size zoom do you have on your camera, in order to get good pictures of the penguins on shore? Hope the snow stops and you have smoother seas and sunny skies for the rest of your time in Antarctica.
    Loving your commentary and your pics. Glad you are doing well in trivia. Looking forward to the rest of your voyage reports.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Canon SX730 (there is likely a newer version out since mine is over a year old) point and shoot camera with a 40X optical zoom. It is a great little, easy-to-use camera.

      Delete