Friday, February 8, 2019


February 8, 2019

At Sea

I had a little different routine than my normal sea day.  It started with Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I going to the morning “Coffee Chat” with the Shades of Buble group.  Pat and I arrived early and worked on our knitting instead of going to the Crow’s Nest with the group.  Pat finished the baby hat to match the sweater she finished yesterday.

Lunch in the Lido and then afternoon trivia.  We had 11 out of 17 but the winners had 13.

1) Who wrote “The Eye of the Needle”

2) What university did Shakespeare attend

3) Which African nation is not land-locked – Niger, Congo, Chad, or Birkina-Faso?

4) What are the only two planets without moons?

5) What was the one-word title 1927 movie that won the first Academy Award for best picture?

Instead of going to arts and crafts (they were making paper flowers today), we went to the lecture on “The Life of a Whaler at Grytviken” by the expedition team.

We were supposed to visit Drygalsk Fjord but the winds were so bad (measured at 80 mph) it was not safe to go into the fjord.  I took some pictures out my cabin window.  It is so dirty I think I will wash it tomorrow when we are anchored (and hopefully have no wind).  Instead we headed to Gold Harbour where we saw an amazingly shaped iceberg.  Again I took some pictures through the window.
We were supposed to pick up our tender tickets for our two hours on South Georgia tomorrow starting at 4 but because we skipped the fjord they started a few minutes early.  I went a few minutes after 4 and walked right up and got my ticket.  I chose 12:20.

I went to 4 pm Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar and knitted for a bit (I am trying to finish up my pair of socks) and then Tom and Pat came over and sat with me.

Evening trivia was in the Showroom at Sea again where the lighting is terrible. We had 12 out of 19 and the winners had 13.

1) For what or whom were M&Ms originally created?

2) What did Frank Henry Fleer invent in 1906?

3) What were the Beatles originally know as?

4) What kind of weather does a ring around the moon predict?

5) In what two cities are monuments known as “Cleopatra’s Needle”?

On the way to dinner there was a beautiful scene with the mountains of South Georgia with the moon over it so I went out on the deck to take a picture.  It was not as cold as I expected and the wind had definitely died down.

Seven present for dinner.  I had a shrimp appetizer, French onion soup, schnitzel, and a blueberry sundae for dessert.

I skipped the show tonight.


bow camera on the TV (much clearer than my dirty window!)


really unusual iceberg

evening view - above and below




Afternoon trivia

1) Follett

2) None

3) Congo

4) Venus and Mercury

5) Wings

Evening trivia

1) The military (during WWII)

2) Bubble gum

3) Quarrymen

4) Rain

5) London and New York City

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment